Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another Bright Blue Sky Day in Seattle

I awoke at 4:45 and jumped in the shower. I was out the door by 5:15 heading to a small local airport that is supposed to have mountain quail on its grounds. Arriving at 5:45 I found the place locked up tight as a drum. I then went around to the back side where there is a quarry that also is supposed to have the quail. In just 15 minutes of wandering around I saw nor heard any quail, but was asked by 2 different employees why I was there. So I gave it up.

Next stop was a large state forest area near Olympia that is managed for timber production. I ended up driving about 35 miles of gravel roads, at times not even quite sure where I was since the road signage was so poor. After an hour I found the road I wanted based on the Washington bird guide. I stopped several times and finally found a hermit warbler mixed in with some chestnut-backed chickadees. This same road section has had mountain quail, but none made a showing for me this morning.

I then drove the hour up to Seattle, arriving in time to see the just released swedish production of the Girl Who Played With Fire. This is the 2nd movie made in the 3 book series by Stieg Larsson. If you have not heard about or read this series, I highly recommend it. It is probably the best fiction that I have read in the last year. The story's heroine, Lisbeth Salander, is the most unique heroine that I can ever remember reading about.

After the movie I went over to a great pizza place called Via Tribunali. My son introduced me to it about 2 years ago when he was living in Seattle. It definitely makes one of the very best Napoli style pizzas in the US. I rate it in my top 5. Today I had a pie with prosciutto crudo on top (photo above). It went great with the local micro-brew that they had on tap. I finished my meal with a light, not too sweet tiramisu.

Today's birding added 4 more new birds for the week, and the warbler brings the YTD up to 642. Tomorrow morning I will be birding north of Seattle trying to locate a cassin's vireo before going back into the city for the afternoon and evening to enjoy fresh raw oysters as an appetizer course at Elliot's Oyster House, and to eat dinner afterwards at Wild Ginger. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    I'm still following all your posts; sounds like you are having a blast.

    I'm curious as to whether you are getting "tired" or are you just as excited about this adventure as when you started.

    Also, would you be willing to get a note from me directly? I'm interested in learning more about Chapel Hill and birding in that area. You can reach me at carlbendorf@gmail.com

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete